Monday, October 29, 2007

Waxing Nostalgic


There are lots of great things about being a grown-up, but sometimes you wish you could go back in time for a while. There's a big part of me that would love to put on some silly costume and go trick-or-treating with friends on Wednesday afternoon, then put myself into a sugar coma with a pillowcase full of candy collected from the neighborhood. Fun stuff like that. I guess it's really just the fantasy, the fun, the utter silliness of it that I miss. The stuff that as adults we too often put aside because we don't have time, or feel to responsible, or are afraid of how we might look to the world around us. It seems strange that as we gain our independence and means to do the extraordinary, we lose our nerve to do the things we always dreamed of doing, as silly as they might have been. Perhaps we lack the courage to step outside of ourselves and get lost in "being" someone else for a little while.

At least I can still watch "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" tomorrow night. :) And I have to dress up at work... although it's not so interesting since we all are going to be the same thing. But I will be comfortable and I get to wear sneakers, so that's a plus. And heck, I'll eat some chocolate too. So there. :p

No comments: