Saturday, January 01, 2005

Resolutions?

Happy New Year!

Last year was the first year in my memory that I actually kept a New Year's Resolution. Usually, I resolve dumb things like everyone else - eat better, exercise more, etc... but last year I resolved to change my life - to actively try to do new things, experience different things, be bolder. I know, an overachiever with an impossible task. But I actually fulfilled it, for better or for worse! Here's a taste. There were more things, but these are just highlights:

January: Blindly went and auditioned for Patience.
February: Agreed to be set up by people from work and went on a blind date. (Didn't see him again.) Oh, and cut my hair, which was big.
March: Agreed to a second set up, but this one through a friend and by email. Kept emailing. (Also this month, had a car crash, but it had nothing to do with me. Just thought I'd mention it.)
April: Dethroned myself and stepped down as the queen-and-dictator of "The Club." :)
May: Conducted the G&S people on the field at a NJ Jackal's game. Very cool.
June: (Oh, many in June...) Decided that I would teach in my school for only one more year. (Big, scary choice!)
July: Fell in love... or perhaps realized I was already there.
August: Made a realization that broke my heart.
September: Started rehearsing for my first ever sung role. As a soprano... identity crisis!?
October: Went to my cousin's wedding with a tres fabulous dress and the attitude to go with it (yes, it fits the resolution in that I was much bolder than I felt.)
November: Sang my first role. In front of an audience. With an orchestra. Yikes.
December: Became the last-minute substitute chef and cooked my first Christmas Turkey dinner!

So. I wanted to change things in my life, to choose to experience new things. I succeeded. For what it's worth, good and bad together, this past year was the best of my life. I've seen my highest highs, and my lowest lows. I did things I had never done before. I took risks. I laughed. I loved. I cried. I lived.

How do I top that? Anyone have a suggestion for a new resolution?

No comments: