Saturday, August 25, 2007

Freshly Sharpened Pencils...

I have a lot of stuff that I should be posting about, but I'm too lazy and sleepy at the moment to upload pictures and whatnot. I'll just make a comment on something that just came to me.

I guess I must be feeling nostalgic or something, but after watching a commercial today on television, I realized that I miss going to school. Not teaching, considering the fact that I am in the midst of getting ready to do it all once again, but rather being a student. I miss carefully packing up all of my stuff and cramming it all into Bing* for the drive up. I miss my friends, who were just a short walk away (or in the next room!) instead of hours or plane rides away. I miss strange things, like the mailboxes. I really miss college choir and my lessons. I miss the struggle of balancing work and play, something that I never quite accomplished, tending to work a lot and being so painfully frugal that I didn't go as many places as I should have. I miss studying and feeling that it was hard, good work, but not impossible. I miss the controlled freedom and how liberating it felt - the ability to be "independent," out of sight of parent's eyes, yet still protected. I miss the "me" that I was becoming there.

School starts next Wednesday. I wonder if my ID card still works.


*my old, dear Red 1991 Toyota Tercel DX, who was named "Bing" by a group of college friends.
The picture above, of course, is not mine - but check out the Edmund's website on the car! If I still had it, I could get a better price for it than I thought! And look at the rating, too - it was a great little car!

No comments: