Thursday, August 04, 2005

Island Adventure

Perhaps the first word of the subject makes you think of locales like Bermuda or St. Thomas... but that would be incorrect. I mean the island of... Manhattan. However, it was during tropical-like weather that the island adventure did occur, so in some ways it isn't that far off!
Yesterday afternoon, I was invited on an adventure to the city. After taking the ferry in (my favorite way to get there!) it was into the underground to take the subway to Ft. Tryon Park, and since we didn't see the bus, we walked through the park, up to the Cloisters. (Aside - the gardens in the park are lovely, as are the views of NJ!) I haven't been to the Cloisters in years, and it did not disappoint! It is so beautiful, so peaceful and contemplative. We actually felt like we'd somehow made a wrong turn and traveled much further when we entered one courtyard and the only voices we heard were speaking in French! From there, it was back to the subway and all the way to the other end of the island to the village, to Peanut Butter & Co. What an extraordinary place! They make the PB right there and serve it in a bunch of creative ways. I enjoyed a Peanut-Butter-Cup sandwich - wheat bread, crunchy PB and nutella. Oh, bliss! :) I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Elvis sandwich, complete with bacon, which was Adventurer Matt's choice. (hey - don't turn your nose up at it until you've tried it!) After such fun, it was off to the Strand for a quick browse and then to a debate - Is America a Meritocracy? - down in SoHo. It was put on by Jinx, an Urban Exploration group. Certainly was an interesting topic - the concept being something I'd never stopped to think about. I sat on the fence of the issue for most of the debate, finally deciding that no, I don't think America is a Meritocracy. (Meritocracy: government controlled by those with the most merit to do so.)

An enjoyable adventure was certainly had, and contained much fun and many surprises. But then again, I'm a sucker for random fun, surprises and anything involving Nutella! :)

No comments: